I’ve been hankerin’ for some cute sundresses this summer, but not the tight waisted 50s dresses my closet is full of. I’ve been wanting 70s and 80s breezy, colorful sundresses. I have a few now and I’ve been wearing them out! I’ve had this pattern in my stash for quite some time and finally decided I’d give it a whirl:
I decided to try it with a cute ikat fabric. The fabric I chose worked out great – it has a wonderful drape and is light without being sheer.
The dress is not what I would deem a total success, however. First of all, why can’t my finished products ever look like the cartoon models on the envelope?? I like it much better when they have photos of real people wearing the project, but vintage patterns never do. Anyhoo, mine turned out WAY too big and baggy – not at all flattering like it is in the picture, of course. I took the bodice in an inch and a half on each side and that helped a lot. Still, it’s not something I’ll wear if I’m trying to look nice. I think it makes me look heavier than I am. Ok, enough stalling – here it is.
The bows on the shoulders look and feel a bit bulky for my taste as well. But it sure is comfy! It will be great for errands or gardening or loafing.
Next up – I need to take a class on how to custom fit patterns to your own body so I stop investing so much time in clothes that don’t fit right!